Saturday, March 12, 2011

Planting Day

Its still technically winter, but I managed to get some seeds in the ground today. Ideally I'd wait another week or so, but I'll be gone then, so I planned to plant a some cold-hardy stuff today. Here is what my garden looked like this morning.
Pretty barren, but hopefully not for long. In fact, the garlic I planted last fall looks like its thinking about growing.
I laid out a few spare patio stones to act as markers and stepping stones. I tossed some semi-rotted leaves from a pseudo-compost pile onto the area that I was going to be planting and then turned over the dirt with a shovel, mixing the leaves in. I raked the loose dirt flat and then planted. I put in Scallion seeds, Kale seeds, Radish seeds, and Onion sets. I had also planned to plant snow peas, but I couldn't find the seeds. Somehow after all this planning I am missing seeds!? I did turn over the dirt there, so if I can stop by a store quickly and find some seeds I should have time to stick them in the ground before I leave. Here is what the area looked like after I was done.
Its entirely possible that some or all of these plants/seeds will not make it, but I'm prepared for that. If they aren't alive when I get home, I'll just plant some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment