Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Where's the Slingshot?

So after my last post where I was upset that I had to replant my melon seeds, I came home from work later that day, and they had dug up my cucumber seeds! I know its hard to tell from that blurry picture, but that is a small mound that had most of it dug away. Thats a smaller hole over on the left side of the picture.
Since it happened during the middle of the a rainless day, the couple of exposed seeds with their newly formed first little root were presumably killed by dehydradation. I planted more seeds, and decided that I wasn't going to let this happen again. My ineficient and inelegant solution can be seen below.

Thats a sheet of plastic over the two mounds and a clear plastic lid over the area the corn seeds were planted. It seems to be working as there haven't been any holes under the plastic in the last day or so. Unfortunately, this requires me to check a couple times a day to see if anything has sprouted. When it does, I'll have to remove the cover ASAP. I'm less worried about the seedlings after they have come up. The squirrels seem to leave plants alone, though they do sometimes dig near the base of plants, exposing some of the roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment