Friday, April 9, 2010

Two posts in one day?

Crazy, right? When I came home from work today I noticed that it wasn't just the Pak Choi that had sprouted, the Arugula had sprouted, too! If that wasn't enough good news, I had some time to plant a bunch of stuff indoors today.

I planted a pot of Melons, a pot of Spaghetti Squash, a pot of Zuchinni, and a pot of Cucumbers. Those were put into the 4" peat pots because like the peppers and tomatoes, they will be indoors till mid-late May. I wanted to make sure they have enough space. For all 4 of those, I did two pairs of two seeds in each. Hopefully I'll be able to thin them to two plants in each pot before they are put into the ground. The tomatoes and peppers will be thinned to one plant each before being put in the ground. The 4" pots definately give them some growing room, but they sure do take up a lot of space. Not only are they wide, but they are tall enough that they just barely fit under the clear plastic domed lid in my big sprouting tray. As soon as the Broccoli sprouted I had to take the lid off to give them space. I'll be curious to see how big the plants are and if there are any roots poking through by planting time. The smaller peat pots (1.5-2") and plastic trays seem like they might be better options in the future, though.

With all the big pots, I'm running out of space in my seeding tray. Luckily, my mother-in-law was kind enough to give us a small seed starting tray and a topsy-turvy. In the small plastic tray I started some additional cherry tomatoes to go in the topsy-turvy, a first planting of Kohlrabi, and a second planting of Broccoli. There is still enough room for a third planting of Broccoli and a second planting of Kohlrabi.

1 comment: