Monday, April 26, 2010

First Harvest!!!

Before I get to the first harvest, I wanted to follow up on my last blog entry. The post was about the unusually warm weather. I think it was three nights after that entry, we supposedly had a frost. I didn't leave the house till after 9 that morning, but the forecast had called for widespread frost throughout the greater Rochester area, so I assume it happened. My plants look fine. In fact, my Arugula and Pak Choi look ready for their first thinning.
Thats the arugula in the foreground and the pak choi further back, with some of the bulbing onions (from sets) in the background. Some of the arugula has 2 actual leaves (as opposed to the baby leaves), while some of the pak choi has reached 4 actual leaves. Regardless of the number of leaves, they are starting to compete for resources, so I thinned both to one plant every 1-2", leaving the bigger, stronger looking ones behind. Now of course I wasn't going to let those perfect micro-greens go to waste! Here they are sitting on some turkey burgers.
Mmm.....Its actually pretty impressive how much flavor these tiny little greens have. The arugula was particularly delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment