Monday, May 31, 2010

Another Garden Update

The last of the transplants went into the ground today. The garden is starting to fill out nicely. The melon seeds that I planted have sprouted, though they got mauled by some sort of very small little bugs that I could see on the newly sprouted leaves. They're in sad shape. Depending on what happens over the next week or so with them, I may consider buying a melon plant or putting something else in there.

A couple of the early season crops are nearing the end of their cycle. The first planting of Arugula bolted. I was going to try to cut back the flower stalks and see how long they would keep producing leaves, but they're not really making leaves at all. They are just sending up lots of flower stalks. In the end, I yanked out the whole plants and took what leaves I could. I can see flower buds in the hearts of the biggest Pak Choi plants, so I harvested one, and there is still one more really big one left in the garden.

Recall that when I planted the potatoes, I dug trenches and only partially filled them in. The plants are over 2' tall now and are having a bit of trouble staying fully upright, so I decided this would be a good time to fill in the trenches. Pushing in the dirt mounds added another 4" or so of depth around the stems.

I've notice on two of the plants that there were some leaves turning brown and dying. It looks suspiciously like pictures I've seen of blight. Ugh. I cut off and discarded any branches that looked diseased. Not much I can do about it if it is blight. I'll just cross my fingers.

Between Arugula plants bolting, Pak Choi being harvested, and some other greens and onions being thinned, we got a pretty good harvest today. Between stuff from the CSA and from our garden, we will be hard pressed to keep up with the greens this summer. For reference, the white bucket in the picture is 10" diameter.


No comments:

Post a Comment