Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Soleto Primitivo - 7.0

Our latest wine for review is a 2007 Soleto Primitivo from Italy.
Thanks to Wiki, I now know that Zinfandel is actually the American name for Primitivo, which has traditionally been grown in the "heel" of Italy.

The more I drink red wines from around the world, the more I realize that I like reds just as much as whites. Its just that the reds that I'm used to drinking (from around the finger lakes) are pretty terrible. This Italian red is pretty decent. I enjoy the moderate acidity and dryness. The tannin is also relatively mild.

I was trying to come up with flavors that I'm tasting and wishing I had one of those wine flavor wheel thingies to help me. Silly me, I have the internet! Just like that I have a whole pile of google hits for wine flavor wheel including this one, which I'm using now.

Thanks to my wheel, I can now pick out hints of tea, chocolate, and kerosene (in a good way). I don't love this wine, but I'm having a hard time coming up with anything negative to say about it.

Jaime says "it has a tempting aroma", and is smooth and easy to drink.

Peter gives this wine a 6/10. Not too shabby, I'd buy this wine if it doesn't cost a lot.
Jaime gives this wine a 8/10. "Its tasty, I'd definately buy this wine."
Average score: 7.0

2 comments:

  1. "The more I drink red wines from around the world, the more I realize that I like reds just as much as whites. Its just that the reds that I'm used to drinking (from around the finger lakes) are pretty terrible."
    Hmmm. Good thing you have a thoughtful brother and sis-in-law to give the gift of "wines from around the world"!

    ReplyDelete