Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Finally pulled the plug on the peas

The pea plants produced one heavy crop and then a whole series of progressively smaller crops as the plants slowly die off on their own. About half the plants have died, and the other half is showing signs of old age. There hasn't been any finite end to the pea production, but it is really starting to trail off. If I let them continue I'd probably get another half pound or so, but I need the space to plant Brussels Sprouts seedlings. Time for the peas to go.

I should have taken a before and after picture, but I forgot to do that, so all I have is an after picture, and a not very good one at that. I don't know why the left side of the photo is blurry, but on the right side you can see the area where the peas used to be. I chopped up the plants a little bit and turned over the dirt, burying the pea plants in the process. Hopefully that will be extra fertilizer for the seedlings. I'll plant them in a few days.
Supposedly Brussels Sprouts like cold weather and will keep growing through heavy frosts and even into December. That cinder block wall on the right side of the picture should help to keep them a bit warm into the cold months, too. Mmm.....Brussels Sprouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment