Monday, July 5, 2010

Time to start freezing

I've been harvesting peas for a while now and they actually look like they are starting to wind down now. So far I've harvested almost 4lbs of them. Jaime and I have only had a couple meals of peas and each meal only used about 1/2lb for both of us. Thankfully, peas should freeze well. I've now got about 2lbs of them in the freezer.

I went out to the garden to pick some peas this evening, and I decided that I should look over the bean plants since I noticed them flowering last week. Turns out the first beans are ready to harvest! I also checked on the Zucchini plant which had a few fruits that had just started growing in the middle of last week and one was already more than big enough (it was over a lb) to harvest. Yikes, time to get eating! Here is my harvest from this evening along with two previous pickings worth of peas in bags.
I'm a little worried about the potato plants. They look like they are dying off, but it seems earlier in the year than that should be happening. I looked online for how quickly they should die off, and all I was able to find was 2-5 months. Hmm. According to my spreadsheet I planted those in mid-April (2.5 months ago). The ground does look like it is pushed up in a bunch of places near the base of the plants so its possible there are potatoes under there. I don't know what else to do except wait and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment