Monday, July 12, 2010

July Garden Update

This is what the garden looks like as of 7/12. The first picture is facing roughly south. Topsy Turvy is back left, potatoes mid left, some Broccoli and Kohlrabi front left. Zucchini to the right of the Topsy Turvy, Cucumber is hidden behind the Zucchini, Spaghetti Squash is everything to the right of the Zucchini, and Tomatoes in the immediate foreground.
Facing to the West now. Peas on the far left side, going along the wall there are 4 pepper plants and then a short row of beans at the end. Potatoes in the top right, Broccoli and Kohlrabi right in the middle, some onions at the far right and mid-left, Tomatoes in the bottom left corner, and some more beans in the bottom middle.
It may not be easy to see everything in the pictures, but things are going well. The leafy green stuff is basically done, but other stuff has taken over. The peas have started a second round of fruiting. The beans seem to be peaking now. Onions have stopped growing tops and are developing bulbs. The potatoes seem to be unhappy, but I can't tell if its because its just time for them to go or if there is a more nefarious reason. The recent hot weather has helped quite a few of the plants. The Tomatoes are starting to get out of control and I've been pruning them to keep them at 4-5 feet tall. I would let them keep growing but I don't really have a good way to support them. I've harvested 4 Cucumbers so far and I've been pruning back the vines. Its supposed to be a small "Spacemaster" variety, but its still growing pretty large. The Zucchini is huge and I've harvested 3 zukes so far. The Spaghetti Squash is quite seriously out of control. I prune it back literally ever single day. Every time I cut off a vine tip, it grows multiple side shoots. The vines seem to grow about 6-9" per day! Note the squash vine growing up the fence in the first picture. I cut it off when it got to the top and it actually has 3 squashes on that one vertical vine alone! I allowed the Spaghetti Squash to take over the melon area, as well as the the area along the fence. It still wants more space and I'm letting a few grow towards the potato area in case the potatoes really are done.

I gotta say, so far the garden has produced more than I expected, and it looks like that will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment