Monday, September 19, 2011

Its (unofficially) Fall

Night time temps are dipping into the low 50's or even lower. Some of the daytime highs aren't even hitting 70 degrees. That hasn't stopped the garden, though. The beans continue to grow, and while I was gone for a little while they overtook one of Jaime's herb pots. The beans have tons of flowers and little beans on them, so at least they're being productive while being annoying.
The corn looks like its ready to be bundled into a front-porch decoration.
The potatoes are somehow still going strong. What you see here is actually half of the potato plants. I grew early season red potatoes that finished and died off in june. Since I had some potatoes in my root cellar, I just left them in the ground. Now the long season Kennebec potatoes have totally overgrown a huge area and show no signs of slowing down. I can't even get to the early potatoes without damaging the greenery, so I've just decided to wait till it all dies back. Also in the picture below is a random broccoli plant that is just now growing its first head.
After being away for a while there was a good amount of stuff that was ripe/overripe and needed to be harvested. Broccoli, peas, beans, and two kinds of peppers. There are tons of Cayennes that are ripe also, but I'm leaving them on the plant as long as I can so that I will have a maximum number of ripe peppers at the end of the season for making hot sauce.
After harvesting the onions at the beginning of July, I replanted the area with various greens and some radishes. Seen below is one of the radish plants that is neither bolting nor growing a radish bulb. It is just growing like crazy instead. Radishes are supposed to be easy and quick, but I have not had good luck with them.
I had a viewer request for a picture from further back showing the whole garden. This is about as far back as I could get. This shows about 90% of the garden. What is left of the three sisters is against the garage to the left, peppers, broccoli, and brussels sprouts in the middle, pototoes on the near right side, and greens and peas in the back right.

No comments:

Post a Comment