Sunday, September 25, 2011

Melon

Here is my one good melon. Unfortunately I had to pick it before it was 100% ripe. There was a dent in the rind (just above my thumb) that was getting bigger and softer, so I decided to harvest it before it got any worse.
Here is what it looks like inside. Not too shabby! It seems that the dent was an area of thin rind that was allowing the melon under it to dry out or something. Its wasn't rotten or moldy at all. The flavor was just OK, though. It wasn't as sweet as I'd like. I suspect that was because I picked it before it was fully ripe. Sadly, this is probably both the first and the last melon of the year since the vine is dying back.
On the other hand, the pepper plants are definitely NOT dying back. They are going crazy. Here is one of the bell pepper plants covered in peppers.
This is the largest of the peppers I've harvested to date. It would actually fit right in with the grocery store peppers. In the background you can see the rest of the recent harvest. The last cucumber of the season, 1.25 lbs of beans, 3/4 lb of broccoli, and a small amount of snow peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment