Thursday, January 21, 2010

Another update on wine

While I was racking the wine after the secondary fermentation, I retained a half a glass to taste. The aroma was excellent. I'd even have to say one of the better wines I've smelled. It was still a bit sour and a surprisingly sweet. The sourness doesn't concern me too much because the acidity is supposed to drop a bit during the cold stabilization. The sweetness, on the other hand, probably isn't going to go away any more. Its not overwhelmingly sweet, but its sweeter than I would prefer. It appears that the wine didn't really ferment at all while in the secondary fermenter. I'm really not sure why that happened, unless the alcohol is high enough to inhibit this yeast. I intentionally got a yeast that has a relatively low alcohol tolerance, but I think it was supposed to be able to ferment to 14% or so. I really don't think the wine has that much alcohol in it. Perhaps all the active yeast was left on the bottom in the primary fermenter when I racked the wine into the secondary fermenter. I'm really not sure. I took a specific gravity reading also. It read 1.009. According to my October 16th blog post, it read 1.007 when I put racked it into the secondary fermenter. Hmmm. Also not really sure whats going on there, but that does confirm that no more fermentation occurred.

I'm curious to see how the flavor changes after cold stabilization and some time in a bottle. It tastes average to me now, but there is definitely room for improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment