Sunday, January 31, 2010

The wine is bottled!

Yup, I finally got to the point of bottling the Seyval. It spent about a week in the garage in the secondary fermenter for the cold stabilization. There was some stuff at the bottom of the fermenter at the end, but it looked more like sediment than crystalized precipitate like I was expecting. Either way, its good that it was at the bottom and not mixed up in the wine.

I racked the wine off of the sediment before proceeding. While racking, I tried to put the wine through some filter paper that I bought at the wine making store when I picked up my juice in the fall. I don't know how those are intended to be used, but the wine did not want to go through the filter paper. The paper is about 8" diameter and I formed it into a cone and put it in a funnel. The wine was only coming out at about a drip per second or so. It must be intended to be used under pressure or something. In the past I've used coffee filters with mixed results, so I ran around looking for any coffee filters in the house. I didn't find any, though. Somehow this filtering step always turns out to be much more difficult than it should be. I ended up lining a semi-spherical pasta colinder with several sheets of the filter paper. About 95% of the wine just went in between the overlapped filter paper and not getting filtered at all, but I didn't see any better options at the time.

After the racking/filtering step, I bottled and corked the wine. That happened on 1/26, so it should be ready to try in March. I tried a few sips of the wine. I had it just after having a sip of another wine that Jaime was drinking. The acidity of my wine was rather shocking. Perhaps it was just the juxtaposition to the other wine, but it is a rather acidic wine, regardless. We shall see how it tastes after bottle conditioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment